Formally Broadway Presbyterian Church (1882 – 1982), the building closed when the congregation merged with Windsor Presbyterian Church. At the time the church was also home to Loyal Orange Lodge number 824.
The building gets its name from two men who made a significant contribution to the promotion of the Irish language: Cardinal Ó Fiaich & Robert Shipboy McAdam.
McAdam was a Presbyterian businessman who pioneered the revival of the Irish language in 19th century Belfast, preserving Irish manuscripts and transcribing the folklore of Gaeltacht areas.
Ó Fiaich was a university academic and scholar of the Irish language throughout the late twentieth century. Previously Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland, he was created Cardinal in 1979.
In keeping with its inclusive historical past, the centre strives to be non-political, valuing the Irish language as part of common heritage.
Several Irish language organisations are based here, including Aisling Ghéar, the only Irish language theatre company in the north of Ireland.
Cultúrlann McAdam Ó Fiaich
Built in a distinctive red brick in the gothic style, the three-storey building is now a multi-purpose venue, home to a tourist information point, a café, a theatre space, the Gerard Dillon Gallery and an Irish language and Irish interest bookshop.